Left string false beat

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 03 May 2000 22:14:34 +0200

Hi there Ola..

Bridge pin related false beats are probably the easiest to identify. Often
enough you can just push in the string with your finger to reseat the pin
and if the beat goes away, then hey.. you got it. If you dont succeed that
way, and you are still pretty sure its comming from the bridge pin...,
loosen a string, and pull the pin. If its really loose then replace it with
the next size up. If its pretty snug, then work a drop or two of thin epoxy
into the hole and replace the pin, turned 180 degrees so as to get a "new"
surface to the string.

Personally, I have never encountered a piano that had false beats on just
the left string of unisons. Not even on that had most false beats on just
the left string. Tho I have heard of this talk of this from time to time.