Kawai "beast"

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 03 May 2000 21:51:17 +0200

Any such adventure is going to take you a bit of time. But if you have the time
and the customer is willing to pay for the job,  loosen the strings in the
treble section and remove the pressure bar. Then resurface both the pressure bar
and the termination. With Kawaii pianos you will need a fairly wide (1 mm, and
keep it consistant) termination, with a nice rounded edge. I personally go with
a pretty steep rounding, almost a "V". Remember to check the depth of the
pressure bar before removal.

Another thing, sometimes false beats related to the termination / pressure bar
area can be lessened by re-seating the strings with a so called false beat
eliminator tool (available from Schaff I believe). Press firmly on the string
between the termination and the pressure bar instead of the speaking length.

Course you wanta make sure this area is indeed the cause of the falseness, but I
have yet to see this job not make a marked improvement in sound clarity.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.