Small Yamaha Grands

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 03 May 2000 18:36:03 -0600

Hi Avery,
               The GA1's, GP1's and GH1's , all need major voicing, sting
leveling and hammer mating, along with the normal key anf B/R hole easing,
we are spending about a day on them.
What else can I say, it's a price point piano.  But the extra effort is
worth it. The problems for the dealer will soon surface if he or she
decides to heavily discount these pianos and then do NO work.
Tell your dealer to look at the price/quality of the alternatives in the
market place, then sensibly price this product series accordingly, with the
work done.
A few of the GA1's that I have have done has resulted in some suporisingly
good results, Steam the hammers down before doing the fine needle voicing,
it will save a lot of time.  A couple of the units were doped, through out,
a first from Yamaha, so the voicing had to be done with an acetone wash
first, just to get the needles in.
The silver lining, your getting paid, plus you will gain one heck of a lot
of voicing experience in a hurry,<grin>
Sounds like a good dealership, look after him.
Warm Regards roger

At 05:33 PM 03/05/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Roger,
>
>    As a Yamaha dealer, have you found that the new "cheapie" versions of
>the small
>grands need a LOT of prep work to make them decent? I do some work for a
>Yamaha/Baldwin dealer close to Houston and the ones I've worked on have been
>terrible, compared to what I'm used to expecting from Yamaha.
>    The biggest deficiencies have been lack of hammer fitting to strings
>and voicing.
>Regulation isn't the greatest, either.
>    This is one of those rare dealers who's interested in his instruments
>being in
>good shape, so it's extra money for me. :-)
>    Just curious.
>
>Avery
>
>>                    As both a Yamaha dealer and technician, SNIP
>>Roger
>>
>>Roger Jolly
>>Saskatoon, Canada.
>>306-665-0213