"New" old uprights

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 May 2000 08:23:56 EDT

In a message dated 05/03/2000 9:49:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
cmpiano@earthlink.net writes:

>  I did the job.  They were pleased.  A few months ago He
>  called me to tune the piano and check it out.  Seems his wife had passed
>  away and he wanted to keep up with her precious piano.  Don't
>  underestimate sentimentality, but don't milk it.
>
>  Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:
I agree whole heartedly.  There is one more positive about restoring an old
upright and that is the fact most of the time the cost of restoration is much
less than buying a new upright of the same quality.  We do about 20 complete
upright restorations per year at an average cost of 7k to 8k and the volume
goes up each year.  I am always sure to tell the customer that this is not an
investement and that it is likely that they will never break even.  Though
there is a piano dealer located about 100 miles from here who specializes in
restored old uprights.  He has a waiting list of customers for his pianos at
$7500.00 apiece.
David Koelzer
DFW Texas