Yamaha Piano C1

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Thu, 4 May 2000 15:38:30 -0700

Dampers & Hammers moving at the same time is a big problem.  I would ask the
dealer to rectify this at no charge to you.  Dampers should begin lifting
when hammer is approximately 1/2 way to the string.

David
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Fernando rosas
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2000 10:33 AM
To: PianoTech
Subject: Yamaha Piano C1

Hello everybody, I'm very glad I received yor helpful answers. I read all of
them carefully, and last evening I did some checkings in order to share them
with you. I want to give you more antecedents and what I found out :

- Damper and hammer lift at the same time.
- I don't have gram weights at home, but my wife has a digital kitchen
scale. So I can know in a very accurately way the weight o different
objects. I checked the 'typical' weight to push down a key (50 g), using a
56g object (with the sustain pedal depressed) and only a few keys traveled
down a little (1/3 cm), the others didn't travel at all.
- Before the C1 I had a C108 (Yamaha upright). The action wasn't 'light',
but now I don't remember it was so 'heavy' as the C1. I played in the past
other Yamaha grands (C7, CFIIIS, GH1) and I don't remember they had 'heavy'
touch. At my piano school we had a Bösendorfer, and it was OK for me. Now I
have a Yamaha digital piano P200, at home, in which I study late at night,
it has a very light touch. Maybe it's confusing me...
- I find the keyboard action is 'heavy' especially in fast passages, I'm now
studing Chopin's waltzes # 1 and # 6 (Minute). In other slow pieces the
effect is not recognizable.
- Keys fall down under their own weight, so I don't think that action
centers are too tight.

And I have more questions, too :

- Since my piano is only 4 months old, why should I ask a technician for :
    - Revise tightness in key bushings and balance rail hole ?
    - Cleaning and polishing keypins and capstans ?
    - Checking centers for excessive friction? Lubricate knuckles ?
- Shoul I expect that a new piano (and not the cheapest one) must have all
these things working all right ?
- It is reasonable to expect that keyboard action in a grand piano must be
'ligther' than an upright piano ? (at similar quality, I mean).
- Would be a good deal to adjust the repetition spring tension ? And if I
loose repetition speed ?
- What does mean 'after touch' ?
- Are there notorius differences between actions of different grand pianos ?
Should I expect a Steinway is 'ligther' than a Yamaha ? My arms and hands
are not strong, and I really feel comfortable with soft mechanisms. Is this
a sin ?

And a special mention to Robert S. Kuhn, thanks for your advice, I will
follow it. Surely I will really appreciate your offer. Don't forget to tell
me when it happens !

Best regards,

Fernando