Voicing

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Thu, 04 May 2000 20:35:35 -0500

Martin,

    My best advice would be to read up on all the articles/posts Roger Jolly
has done about steam voicing.
    Second, don't do anything that can't be undone.
    Third, go slow and carefully.
    What kind of piano? Grand or vertical. New, old, worn hammers, etc. ?
To do a good job, there's a lot more to voicing than to just needle or steam
the hammers.
    There's also probably a lot in the archives about this subject.
Starting on a
customer's piano is not the most ideal way to begin. Do you have another
instrument you could experiment with a little first? So you can begin to
see what effect what given procedure has?
    Post me privately if you'd like. I'm sure others will also have some good
comments. Good luck.

Avery