"I Love You" bug

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 4 May 2000 20:17:52 -0400

Hi all,

At the risk of being redundant, I received this from my internet provider.
It appears to have some practical suggestions, although I can't confirm
their practicality or usefulness.

Best wishes to all,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net

This e-mail will come with the subject of "I LOVE YOU", and will have an
attachment named "LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs".

Opening this attachment will do several things:

1) Write a file called MSKernel32.VBS in your windows and windows/system
directory and set them to run at re-boot

2) Email a copy to everyone in your address book

3) Search your hard drives and any MAPPED NETWORK drives for files with
several popular extensions, then make a copy of them with a .vbs extension
that has the attachment's code in it, then delete the original files - such
extensions include, but are not limited to: vbs, vbe, js, jse, css, wsh,
sct, jpg, jpeg, mp3, mp2

4) Make several registry entries into your system.

IF you have already run it, here is the quickest way to kill 99% of this
virus:

a) Delete the original email!
b) forward this email to everyone in your address book
c) Remove the following files from your computer:

     MSKernel32.vbs in the \Windows\System directory

     Win32DLL.vbs in the \Windows directory

     LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs in the \Windows\System directory

     WinFAT32.EXE in the Internet download directory (\Windows\Downloaded
Program Files)

     WIN-BUGSFIX.EXE in the Internet download directory
(\Windows\Downloaded Program Files)

     script.ini in the mIRC directory (If you have installed mIRC).

For further information, please visit the following URL's:

Symantec Anti-virus research center:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.loveletter.a.html

Mc Affee Antivirus (Update available):
http://www.nai.com