Kawai "beast"

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Fri, 5 May 2000 07:48:52 -0500

Richard,

Thanks for the suggestions.

<<Any such adventure is going to take you a bit of time. But if you have the
time
and the customer is willing to pay for the job,  loosen the strings in the
treble section and remove the pressure bar. Then resurface both the pressure
bar
and the termination.>>

Since this piano is only 3 years old, it would have to be done under
warranty. I had thought about doing this very thing if necessary.

<<Another thing, sometimes false beats related to the termination / pressure
bar
area can be lessened by re-seating the strings with a so called false beat
eliminator tool (available from Schaff I believe). Press firmly on the
string
between the termination and the pressure bar instead of the speaking
length.>>

I had not thought about this. What does this tool (which I have) accomplish
in this area? It would seem that the tendency would be to create grooves in
the V-bar, which would eventually defeat the purpose of resurfacing it.

<<Course you wanta make sure this area is indeed the cause of the falseness,
but I
have yet to see this job not make a marked improvement in sound clarity.>>

Yes, I am sure it would make an improvement.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS