Bursitis

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Fri, 05 May 2000 13:22:45 +0100

I´se sorry MR. HUNT but this sheath o' yours ain´t no bursa.  It be nothin'
other than a fascia.
Fasciae (divided into superficial fascia and deep fascia) hold muscles
together in bundles and on a smaller scale, the deep fascia forms the
epimysium, perimysium, and endomysium, respectively, that join at the end
of a muscle to form a
T-E-N-D-O-N.
A bursa is a sheath around a synovial cavity which, in turn, contains
synovial fluid.  Your description of the "fascia", meaning "bandage", is
wrongly intertwined with the "bursa" (meaning "pouch", or in French "bank"
"bourse") and intermingling use of these terms can be dangerous e.g.
"Intern, remove this bursa"..."What the hell did you do?"..."I removed the
bursa"...

Don´t mix up your anatomy and leave this to the pre-senile ones!

Kristinn Leifsson,
Reykjavík, Iceland

Bursitis is an inflammation of the bursa, the sheath holding