Another day in the Life

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 05 May 2000 22:13:47 +0200

Hi list. Today I got a doosey of a phone call from
the Western Norwegian Opera. Seems they are going
to have this big whig in town tommorrow for a
really big shoew. (perhaps some of you remember
that one...grin) Of course they had an instrument
that needed immediate attention. This particular
instrument was tuned at A440 and it needed to be
at A442 for the concert, and afterwards they
wanted it tuned to A440 again. Only one problem.
The instrument was a Harmonium. (a reed organ,
pumped bellows and all).

I was frankly flabergasted that the folks at this
"Opera" knew no more about musical instruments
then to ask such a question. And it was put so
matter of factly as well... "Hello, Richard Brekne
?? We have this Harmonium we need tuned up to A442
from 440 by tommorrow morning, and we need it back
to 440 again as soon as possible. Can you come in
this evening ?"

I couldnt think of anything to say right off,, so
I said I'd do it for $3000 .00 but I'd need two
weeks each way...grin.. then I explained what a
reed instrument was to the fellow...

Jeeeshhh.... What do they teach these folks
anymore anyways ??

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.