"New" old uprights Costs

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 May 2000 19:43:13 EDT

In a message dated 5/5/00 1:39:05 PM Central Daylight Time, Kdivad@AOL.COM
writes:

<< Most of the time his work does not include pin block, treble bridge or
 soundboard replacement nor does it include shank, butt or wippen replacement
 though it would include repinning loose flanges. It does include replacement
 of capstan felts and key bed felts and the rest of what you listed. He does
 what needs to be done and no more.
 Also the costs for our labor here is very reasonable that may be a part of
 his what seems to be low prices.
 I will be more specific in defining restorations in the future.
 David
 DFW Texas >>

In that case, then I think he ripping off his customers. For that kind of
money, I expect the piano to be completely rebuilt, including new parts,
repaired pin block and sound board, etc., etc.

My problems with a rebuilt (restored, reconditioned, etc.) upright is that
there are so many problems left undone, like loose back posts, bad pin
blocks, potentially cracked soundboard.

I tell my customers that pianos generally last about 75 - 100 years, give or
take 10 years. That is the time at which major problems will develop. And
some of those problems cannot be "fixed" without major overhauling. Which, in
most cases, are almost impossible to do on uprights.

Willem