wood, wax and mold

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Sat, 6 May 2000 08:49:55 -0400

The most recent knowledge I have about vertigris is that it attacks the
parafin used in wool action centers.  I think the same chemical reaction is
occuring on the cedar siding and pressure treated lumber on my deck.

The room  was built eight years ago, and for the first five years  I was
religious in anually maintaining it; i.e. cleaning and applying a protective
coating.  The house and deck rarely see sunlight as there are big trees that
create heavy shade.  I started out using Olympic clear stuff wood
preservative that was supposed to prevent mildew then I swithced to
Thompson's stuff.  This produced a bead when it rained, so I thought I did
good!

It has been 2 1/2 years since I did this maintenance, and now the deck is
the color of most people's lawns, and wherever I used the "beading" stuff on
the siding, there is a case of the most pernicious mildew I have ever seen.
The reason for this post is that during power washing and applying chemicals
(something like X-14 mildew remover) I realized the black mold had grown the
worst in the areas I had treated.

They tell me that wood treatments that "bead" usually use parafin, and that
I should try something with Linseed oil.  Anybody have any suggestions?  :)

Carol Beigel
Allergy City