Steinway damper

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 09 May 2000 15:49:06 +0200

pryan2 wrote:

> I was servicing a very ornate Steinway D (hand painted/carved/gold in-laid)
> in an exclusive  restaurant and noticed ugly fishing weights glued securely
> on top of  several damper heads.

Tragic.. sheesh

> Some of the dampers had two weights one on
> front and the other at the back.  The dampers seem to work OK so I left them
> alone (I'm no fool).
>
> My question is: Is this a last-ditch, acceptable repair technique or an
> amateurish attempt to quiet  ringing dampers?

Quite possibly a last ditch effort, but not really acceptable. Possibly the
owner refused to get it done right and some pianist did the deed.

> I would think that a damper
> problem on such a piano could/should be solved in a more professional way or
> at least put the weights inside the underlever system.

More then likely either new damper felt and / or repining the damper levers is
whats needed, also quite possibly the bushings for the damper rods need work.
Shouldnt need weights, thats already taken care of from the get go.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.