Gray market yamaha grand

romanop@attglobal.net romanop@attglobal.net
Tue, 9 May 2000 18:04:02 -0400

Hi List!

        I'm relatively new to the list. It's time consuming to consider =
others' technical problems when I seem to have enough of my own, but =
I've already learned a number of things here and will continue to log on =
for now.=20
    Today I had the (ahem) pleasure of servicing a 6 foot Yamaha grand # =
18466 (This # was on the action only). It's obviously gray market. =
Pierce lists this number as circa 1934. They didn't finish pianos in =
poly in '34 did they? Anyway, it's been restrung (original block, # 3 =
pins (uneven torque throughout), keytops, bushings, hammers, shanks and =
flanges. Here's the problem(the big one). The flanges are obviously not =
correct for the rail. The thickness of the flange causes the screws to =
wedge themselves against the block (and I mean WEDGE!). I had to brace =
my legs against the lyre, grab the brackets and heave! Doesn't do alot =
of shifting either! What's the fix? Plane the bottom of the block? Belt =
sander? Thin the flanges (is that possible?)? These folks are upset. =
They thought they were getting a Yamaha grand which I guess they did but =
it's not quite up to the modern quality standards. Any help is =
apprectiated.

Phil Romano
romanop@attglobal.net
=20