CA glue vs. PinTite

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Wed, 10 May 2000 07:54:56 EDT

In a message dated 5/9/00 10:03:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
cedel@supernet.com writes:

<< There is another way to look at this.  Isn't it correct that the pinblock
could
 delaminate and fall in pieces on the floor even if the pin tightening
solution
 had never been used?  It was probably the reason a technician tried a "fix"
in
 the first place.

 Regards,
 Clyde Hollinger

Clyde,

You may be correct, but I have seen it many times, that unmistakable black,
brittle, cracked to h... top layer of wood.  This particular specimen came
out of piano which had been "rewhatevered" by a Chicago area "rewhateverer"
(who Richard Anderson described earlier).  Based on the condition of the bass
strings my guess the work was 15 years old or so.

I will grant that this stuff does tighten the tuning pins for a while.  But
once you see what it does to the pinblock over time it is hard to endorse its
use.  Tapping and CA glue are certainly less destructive cures.  On that note
you should see the pinblock someone tapped and didn't use any supports.
Couldn't even get the action out until we pulled the plate.

Andrew Remillard