Steinway damper

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Wed, 10 May 2000 22:16:28 -0500

>Some of the dampers had two fishing weights, one on
> front and the other at the back.  The dampers seem to work OK so I left
them
> alone (I'm no fool)
> My question is: Is this a last-ditch, acceptable repair technique or an
> amateurish attempt to quiet  ringing dampers?

Dear No Fool,  ; )
It depends on the player.  If there is no noticible difference in touch
between dampers with weights and dampers with out them, then yes who could
argue this is not acceptable?  Following this line, why then are not grand
damper heads made to accept weights if this works so well?    ---ric  (who
has seen quarters taped to damper heads)