Heat for the piano

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Thu, 11 May 2000 22:36:14 -0400

Clyde,

My opinion is that it is better not to heat. I've seen many a piano to withstand winters in an unheated environment. Relative humidity is what counts.

You may be familiar with "tropicalizing" pianos.... what the British did when exporting to the tropics..... a light fixture, tacking down the keytops, etc. But you don't need that in PA. Artificial heat will only diminish the relative humidity (especially if enclosed within the piano) and cause future problems.

John Lillico, RPT
Oalville, ON  Canada