Fudge factor for pitch floating?

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Fri, 12 May 2000 13:07:22 -0600

Hi Folks,

Just some raw data regarding pitch drop due to humidity. I had occaision to
pitch correct and tune and then 3 months later install humidity control
systems with the smart bar on two Yamaha p2's which are approximately 35
years old.

One was allowed to go dry and the other was kept in proper service. Pitch
drop on the dry unit was about 16 cents at A4. Pitch drop on the wet was 4
cents at A4. The pianos were in the same very dry building for the entire
time with humidity levels being within 1% of each other. Original pitch
correction was also very similar.

If we assume the wet unit was at 42% (a la DamppChaser) and the dry one was
at ambient room levels of 26% and the difference in pitch between the 2
pianos was 12 cents at A4, then we could have the beginnings of a *fudge*
formula for floating pitch, and also a fudge to be added into predicting
when the next tuning should be sheduled--if there are records of humidity
levels kept on a permanent service record inside the piano.

42%-26% = 16% So pitch drop was .75 of a cent for each percentage drop in
humidity.

I am hoping someone else will do similar measurements.

As a side note the worst note flat on the dry piano was 47 cents and on the
wet 20 cents; a clear indication that humidity control does help.

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.htmlplanet.com/

3004 Grant Rd.