Tooners :-( or exasperation exemplified!!

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 12 May 2000 20:53:17 -0400

Hi Jim,

Is this for real?  You're not just pulling our (collective) leg?

Wow!  My heart sank a little more as I read each of your descriptions.  This
poor piano.  Any one of the things would seem much easier to deal with, but
the combination...

Why were you called to the piano in the first place?  Is the customer
unhappy with their piano?   Are they seeking a second opinion as to whether
"something's wrong"?

Here's my suggestion(s).

1)  Be polite, but be honest.  At this point, there's not point in hiding
the truth from them.  I'm assuming that's why you were called, to tell them
the truth.

2)  Provide them the names of half a dozen other reputable techs in the area
that could confirm that this is indeed shoddy workmanship.  They might feel
more confident knowing that you're not the only tech who would think this
about their piano.  They probably won't call all six of them.  They might
not even call anyone else.  But suggesting it might add some credibility in
their minds.  Then again, they might want the opinions of all six.

3)  You might provide a list of things to the owner that you believe would
put the piano into the working condition that it should be in, considering
the work it was _supposed_ to have had done to it.  (Not having such a list,
I am limited in comments.)  I do hope that the customer received something
in writing that stated exactly what would be done.  Without a written
contract, it becomes more difficult.  It might even be a good opportunity to
sit down one on one with the customer and explain just why those things that
you list are important.

4)  Don't try to fight the battle for the customer.  You're not the one who
has been injured (at least not in the eyes of a judge).  The battle is
between the customer and the contractor.  Provide them with the tools (i.e.
good information, etc.) and let them fight for what's right.

5)...and I hate to even say it... but legally, I'm thinking that the
original contractor may have the right as well as the obligation to make
this thing right, even if he has to hire someone who knows how.

There's lots of peripherals here that could add new slants to the whole
mess...

That's what came to mind here, and they are only (a few of) my thoughts,
just thrown out there for what they're worth.  Details might change the
perspective a bit.

I do anxiously await the rest of the story!  :-)

Thanks for posting this Jim.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net