annoying posts - new solutions

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 13 May 2000 09:37:35 EDT

In a message dated 5/13/2000 12:47:33 AM, Carol wrote:

<<I don't mean to sound so cranky about the tremendous amount of unreadable
material on this list ->>

Carol;
"unreadable material"? Such as sending stuff to the list with a dark violet
background, and the post in both plain text 'and' in a html string? That is
what you just did. I know you are "on the road" and that might account for
this happening. Normally your posts from home don't have this needless waste
of bandwidth and archive space.

  This has been mentioned by many people many times and it still happens
regularly and by the same people........... should more fuss be made about
this too?

  As for what the FAQ on pianotech says, it says 'exactly':
<<"PIANOTECH -- a forum for piano technicians

    The "pianotech" list is intended for technical discussions
    among piano technicians.  *Other topics of general interest
    to piano technicians do come up*, but the main focus is on
    sharing technical information.  It is an "open" list, allowing
    anyone to subscribe and submit posts.">>

<<"It has been suggested many times that we have another list for the more
social postings and just keep things technical on pianotech. ">>

 'We' in fact 'do' have another list that treats "off topic posts" much more
unkindly and that list is called CAUT@ptg.org.

<<"If you post pictures to the list, it is probably more appropriate to post
them to your web page and let people click on the link.  That way the
archives and digesters don't get messed up with a lot of garbage. ">>

  I agree with these thoughts. Also it would be helpful for posters to not
use HTML encoding when posting to the list.

<<"A little consideration for the entire Pianotech community will go a long
way.">>
Absolutely...think about that just a little huh?
Jim Bryant (FL)