Recent widow looking at piano business

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 14 May 2000 08:19:32 EDT

Veda:

First of all, my deepest sympathy to you and your family. The very best to
you.

You ask some questions that only you can answer. Are you emotionally prepared
to continue Jim's business?  Financially are you able to take the time to
learn the business?  Do you have the physical strength to do tuning, carry an
action, or move a piano away from the wall? You are certainly young enough,
(nearly 50 is not considered old by a long shot), to learn a new career. So
if you want to, you have a world of opportunity waiting for you.

To answer one of your questions, yes, you can sell your business. But the
question is, can you find someone to buy it? A good CPA will be able to help
you put a price tag on what the business is worth. But if there are no
buyers, then that might not be the route you want to go.

If you enjoy working with people, and enjoy doing the "mechanical" part of
the business, learning how to tune is a viable solution to your problem. You
have the tools and equipment, which for most new tuners is one of the draw
backs of starting in this business. If you have the aptitude and the basic
understanding of how tuning is done, actually learning how to tune is not
going to be that difficult, especially if you have an Acutuner.

I would suggest you get some books on how to tune, and ask some of the
members of the chapter for some help. Take maybe 6 months to get the hang of
what you have to do and ask someone to evaluate your tuning. Before you go
out and hit the pavement, do some tunings for your church and friends and ask
their opinions. Once you start, I would venture to bet that most of Jim's
clients would probably welcome you to work on their piano.

Good luck.

Willem Blees

In a message dated 5/13/00 11:12:59 PM Central Daylight Time, veda88@usa.net