Eating in America

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sun, 14 May 2000 16:53:21 -0400

Brian Lawson wrote:

> Hi, with an ever worsening rate of exchange against the US dollar I'm keen
> to know what is a realistic budget for food when I'm at Arlington. I see in
> the April Journal several "cheap" places listed - but what is "cheap" to you
> guys and what do you get for it?
>
> Brian Lawson
> PTG Assc, MPT.
> Johannesburg, South Africa

"Cheap" places attached to major metropolitan malls are inexpensive relative to
the other, high scale restaurants.
Last year at Kansas City most of my breakfasts were a good cup of coffee ($1.50
or more), an orange juice ($2), maybe a banana (another $1). If it were a real
hotel restaurant breakfast, probably $10-12 for eggs, pancakes, etc.
I lunched & sometimes dined at a "Mexican" fast food spot, on massive burritos
for around $6 (plus a $2 Coke).
I believe there's a supermarket somewhere in the Crystal City Mall, so you
should be able to get fruit, salads, and some prepared foods, etc. to round out
your diet.
I'll have the whole family with me this time, so we'll be eating in "real"
restaurants most of the time, and doubtless dropping alot of money in the
process.

What''s the word from real Washingtonians?

Patrick D.