Recent widow looking at piano business

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 15 May 2000 23:06:03 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/00 8:21:29 PM Central Daylight Time, veda88@usa.ne
writes:

<< We have a really good clientele around here with not much competition in
the
 area. Alot of our friends and customers are encouraging me to learn the
 business and take up where Jim left off. I don't know exactly how to do that,
 since he left me so unexpectedly soon -- and i don't know if an old girl like
 me who's almost 50 could learn to do something so new anyway --

I sympathize deeply with you loss.  I too, am a widower at a young age, 47,
having lost my beloved at 43.  I know that the overwhelming grief and
bewilderment of the loss, the urgency of all that must be done, the
discomfort of having to now do the work of two with little or no experience
at it.

But let me reassure you that you are not too old to learn and do well with
this profession.  I hope you give it a try.  I would suggest getting Randy
Potter's correspondence course.  Hiring another technician sounds like a good
idea but from what you say, not much competition around there, it may not
even be possible.  You may have to get a few people to tide a few customers
over but eventually, you need to run that business yourself or sell it
outright to someone who wants to move to that area.  The latter may not work
either.

I have always noticed that the women technicians in PTG are very strong,
self-motivated people just as the men are, they have to be.  It has
traditionally been a male dominated profession and the typical customer may
have a preset idea that the piano technician is an older gentleman.  As a
youth of 17 when I started, I had a lot of credibility to generate before
enough people would hire me so that I could actually make a living.

As I see it, you have a way to earn your living and build a retirement fund
for as long as you are willing and able to do so.  That's what most piano
technicians do.  But above all, join the Piano Technicians Guild (PTG) and
plan to attend every Chapter meeting, Regional Seminar and Annual Convention
that you can possibly afford to attend.  These investments in educational
materials and experiences will be the best investment you can make in your
future.

You may be able to contribute your business experience to PTG by giving a
Chapter technical session on what you know about organizing and running the
business.  I think you'll find that what you already know, whom you already
know (your customers, the ones anyone else would have to get but you already
have) and your age will all be to your advantage.  You will only need to
learn to listen in a new way and become skilled with some very specialized
tools along with some common ones as well.

My most sincere best wishes,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin