Bassplaying and tuning tuning guitars

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 16 May 2000 01:46:08 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Ola Andersson <pianoola9@hotmail.com>

>It is fun to tell
> people when I finish to tune this piano there isn't a single note intune.
> Maybe we shouldn't call us tuners but "out of tuners".

The art of tuning out of tune and still sounding musical is called
tempering.  So perhaps we should be called "temperers", or since we tune
temperaments maybe we should be called "temperamentalists".

I am wondering if instrumentalists are using electronic tuners for their
notes.  If the guitar tunes all his open strings to the "pocket tuner"  all
of the  fifths and fourths are tempered. Unless the ear is trained to hear
that, the machine tunings do give a  guitar tuning subtly different than the
ear.  The b would be tempered to the g thus making the e'  a little higher
than if all six notes tuned justly.  After all the frets are "equally
proportioned" which produces ET from one note to the next going up the neck.
All the more reason the open strings should be tuned to ET.
    I am not a guitar player so there may be reasons other than these
dictated by the actual playing demands.  ---ric

PS   E--A--d--g--b--e'     the guitar strings.