Two questions/ivories and Polish pianos

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 17 May 2000 07:43:55 -0400

Bob,

I used to use CA to glue on the miscellaneous ivory keytop, because it was quick.
I stopped using it when I found some of the ivory heads popping off again in a
year or two, which caused me to think the bond was too weak.  Maybe it was the way
I did it; I put the glue on the key and accelerator on the keytop, then held them
in position for ten seconds or so, and that was it.

About six months ago I started using Weldwood Contact Cement, which I buy in a
little 3-ounce bottle at the hardware store.  It comes with a no-good brush
inside, attached to the lid.  I get cheap artist brushes from the craft store,
which cost aout 98 cents for a pack of five or six, and I use each one only once.
Put a thin coat of glue on the keytop and a thin coat on the key, and after they
dry a few minutes press them together.  So far I've been pleased; in a year or two
I'll be able to tell better how this holds up.

Clyde Hollinger