Psychology/

RptBob1@AOL.COM RptBob1@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 May 2000 12:56:34 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/00 10:20:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
istuner@islandia.is writes:

<< y aware that the customer needs to feel at ease and trust the tuner.
  That´s why I´m always very polite in any way, (not like that stupid auto
 mechanic I saw this morning).  This includes having impeccable phone
 manners and using a well chosen section of my vocabulary and also
 remembering to ask; "Is it alright that I lay this here?", when holding a
 lid of some sorts.
 Well, I also feel that the customer needs to feel he´s paying for something.
 When I tune a piano that needs more than one tuning and I have to come back
 and finish the job, perhaps the day after, I sometimes leave the unisons in
 the middle with a little "whang, meow, or what you will" in them...
 DELIBERATELY...I´m so sorry.
 Please, I have no flame suit.

Hi Kristinn:

99% of my pitch raises can be done at one tuning.  I take the extra time
needed that day.  On those rare occasions that I feel the piano is going to
need another "tweeking", I will suggest the customer call me when they can
sense the piano has drifted out of tune.  IF that call comes within 30 days
of the initial tuning, I discount that tuning $20.00. The reason for that is
twofold: 1. if I am called back within 30 days, I know I will not have to
spend another full-tuning time on this second tuning; and 2. This will
discourage anyone from calling me back the next day-just after a large pitch
raise-complaining the piano  "doesn't sound right".
Remember a full-fledged pitch raise is not your fault.  It is the customer
who has probably neglected having the piano serviced on a regular basis thus
necessitating a pitch raise. Having an up-front charge for a recall based on
just having undergone a pitch raise makes it very clear as to who will bear
the burden of an additional recall.

Best wishes,

Bob Bergantino, RPT
Willoughby Hills, Ohio