45 min tunings

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 May 2000 21:18:50 EDT

 Maybe one of the things that is slowing me down some is that I am still
 working on lever technique. Is the 45 min tuning usually attainable only
 after some years of experience on all types of pianos?

I was doing 45 minute tunings after only two years. I have been told by other
tuners who have listened to me tune that I have a fast ear. I seem to be able
to hear when a string is out of tune much faster than others. I guess what I
do to make tunings faster, something that I have heard other tuners do, is
not listen to the note to see how much out of tune it is. Unless I am doing
the final unison touch ups, when I hear a string out of tune, I immediately
start working that string. I usually bring the tension down, and then pull it
up again, regardless of whether the string is flat or sharp. What I tell my
students is "stop listening and start tuning."
I hope this helps you to achieve a faster tuning.

 I understand what the customer liked. A lot of
 people that I tune for do not play all that much, and they really like to
 hear someone who can play well. Sadly, I do not have time to play much, so
 they don't hear all that much from me, although I do play what I can when I
 am finished.

I don't play the piano. I "noodle." I have gotten pretty good at "noodling",
enough so that most of my clients think I really know how to play.

 John Formsma
 Blue Mountain, MS

Willem