T3 - Today's Tech tip

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sat, 20 May 2000 13:12:23 -0400

In the pursuit of perfect coils I ground the tip of my APSCO coil
setter (#16083A) in a spiral fashion. I started by making a notch
the depth of wire diameter and ground the surface to produce an
inclined plane of sorts. So at the becket, the punch is bi-level with
the lower surface in front of the becket. I always felt that by the
time the coil was driven down sufficiently all around that the becket
received a small dent from the tool. Now when I tap the coils they
get set perfectly with no need to move the punch to different angles
around the pin.

I had already tapped the coils with the setter and touched-up with
a screw driver blade and ball peen hammer but this straightened
them better with less fussing. I had been thinking about trying this
for a while and finally got the ambition to execute the idea.

Now my coils are as pristine as the becket alignment (Becket Tool)
in a fraction of the time.

All set,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.