The best and the richest

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 20 May 2000 20:53:46 -0400

I'm picking up on something written by Dale Probst in a recent post (RE:
appraisal techniques).

He said:
My personal survey indicates that technicians who attend the
Annual consistently rank in the top tier both technically and financially.

That's a very interesting statement!!

The ponderance which came to mind when I read that was, are the top
technical minds and the top financial minds the same minds?  or are they two
separate and distinct groups?  or is there a small? or perhaps even large?
overlap between the two?

As an independent technician, I certainly strive to move closer to both
financial and technical affluence. (I've a long way to go on both counts!)

I've met technicians who were quite brilliant technically who worked at
nearly a poverty level.  And I've met (piano) dealers who do quite well
financially who have little technical knowledge.  No doubt there are many
technicians who are on the bottom end both technically and financially.
(I'll be the first to admit that I'm closer to the bottom on both counts
than I'd like to be, but I'm striving to learn, and am anxiously awaiting
Arlington and beyond!!!)  But I am very interested in those who have
achieved / are achieving the upper end of both the technical and financial
within the piano industry.

Seriously, I don't know how to even ask, but what might be some of the keys
to achieving BOTH, and  AT THE SAME TIME?

I think it's a fascinating (and worthwhile) topic.

Anybody care to expound?

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net