Don't let this happen to you!

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 20 May 2000 19:24:47 -0700

Alan Meyer is at PianoDisc this week getting official training
for installations.  (Actually we have been doing installations
together for a long time but he always felt like he wanted to
make it official).

Alan is the tech for several Hotels on the strip and when he is
gone I take over for him.  This week I had two gigs at Paris, two
at the Regents, and two at MGM.  The typical scenario:  Move the
piano out of storage, push it into the facility, (i.e. ball room,
conference/convention center, etc.), set it up and then tune it.
Then you return at the end of the gig, (four or five hours
typically), break down the piano and return it to storage.  The
pianos are all very light weight grands, (GE-1, etc.), no serious
strain for a single tech to roll over off a dolly.  The dollies
used have two swivel wheels and two fixed wheels.  This makes it
easy for one tech to steer a piano around.  The skid remains on
the dolly at all times and with the two fixed wheels at the front
the dolly doesn't move when rolling it over. (Trust me, this
works VERY well no matter how scary it may sound).

At my last MGM gig I had to push the piano up onto a riser about
a foot high.  We have an aluminum ramp on wheels for this job
which works pretty well.  It will get you huffin' pushing it up
but it is still pretty straight forward.  At this particular gig
I pushed the piano up as usual, tilted it over and got it set up,
ran over the tuning, and then headed out to work on a private
clients broken PianoDisc system.

About four hours later I arrived back to reverse the process.  I
rolled the piano onto the skid. No problems.  I removed the lyre
& legs, tightened down the strap, and lined the piano up for a
straight shoot down the ramp.  With the wheels pointing the right
direction, I proceeded to make my journey down the ramp with the
piano.  This is usually the easy part since gravity is working
for you.  All you need to do is push it back a bit to control the
speed.  So far so good.  Almost down now... the wheels are moving
off the bottom of the ramp....  Suddenly Things began to feel out
of control.  I looked down and saw that one of the swivel casters
was rotating around in wild and illogical directions.  The dolly
begins to wander sideways as the wheel jumps the bottom of the
ramp....  I hear my self say something not normally acceptable in
respected company.  The piano teeters and with a very interesting
sound the whole thing proceeds to fold over onto the floor, lid
side down!!!  I loose my balance and topple onto the floor with
it trying to stabilize the thing.  Somehow I end up on my back
about 15 feet away.  A deafening silence fills the room as the 20
or so caterer's and another dozen straggling party goers turn to
see what I'm sure was quite a memorable scene.  Fortunately I was
able to jump back up without injury and a couple of the servers
helped me right the piano again and reset the dolly.  No
significant damage seems to have happened to the piano.  I
noticed that the keys shifted off their front rail pins but that
is easily remedied.  A thick moving cover was on at the time and
the room is well carpeted so I'm sure any cosmetic damage was
very limited.

So what when wrong?  I took a close look at the dolly and the
wheel that had a mind of it's own.  A significantly large chunk
of rubber has torn out of the wheel and is missing.  An 1/8th of
an inch or so remaining portion was all that was keeping the
wheel shaped round.

So the moral of the story... Check your moving equipment
regularly.  If the wheels are damaged, if there are missing
caster bolts, loose glue joints, cracks, sticking swivels, weak
or deteriorating skid boards, frayed or questionable straps,
whatever the case may be, your asking for trouble.  This time it
was just a little beat up GE-1 hotel piano.  Next time it could
be something much nicer and heavier!!!

Now I get to tell Alan about it when he gets back tomorrow!!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV