The best and the richest

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 21 May 2000 09:09:14 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/00 8:15:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
btrout@desupernet.net writes:

Good questions, Brian.

<< I've met technicians who were quite brilliant technically who worked at
 nearly a poverty level.  And I've met (piano) dealers who do quite well
 financially who have little technical knowledge.

The brilliant piano technician who doesn't charge enough has either never
attended a PTG seminar, or they only took technical subject. If they had ever
taken a business class, they would have found out how to make more money.

The piano dealer who doesn't know anything about piano technology, but makes
a lot of money, is merely a good salesman. Any good salesman can sell pianos,
as well as used cars, dishwashers, etc.

 No doubt there are many
 technicians who are on the bottom end both technically and financially.
 (I'll be the first to admit that I'm closer to the bottom on both counts
 than I'd like to be, but I'm striving to learn, and am anxiously awaiting
 Arlington and beyond!!!)  But I am very interested in those who have
 achieved / are achieving the upper end of both the technical and financial
 within the piano industry.

 Seriously, I don't know how to even ask, but what might be some of the keys
 to achieving BOTH, and AT THE SAME TIME?

I know I am not at the at the top of the list, both financially and
technically, but I do think I do quite well financially, and I think I know
quite a lot about pianos. I didn't start out that way, though. It took me
many years of attending chapter meetings, seminars and conventions. I have
gone to every convention for the past 23 years. I try to attend at least one
seminar a year. And for 23 years, I have attended just about every chapter
meeting. I think I have only missed about a dozen chapter meetings, and the
St. Louis chapter meets every month.

For me chapter meetings are top priority. There has to be a very good reason
for me not to attend one. The only things that have prevented me from going
to a meeting has been the last rehearsal before a performance, or I was out
of town, or I, or one of my family members, was deathly sick. I schedule all
the meetings a year in advance. If I am asked to tune a piano, or attend
another committee meeting on the night of the chapter meeting, I say, NO, I
am busy that night.

The bottom line, Brian, is that learning to do my job as well as I can is the
most important thing in my life. For you, when you have learned to do your
job as well as you can, the money will automatically come your way. It might
take a couple of years, but it will happen.

Willem