Premium Rates

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Sun, 21 May 2000 15:49:27 -0400

I used to reduce my charge during the slow months of July and August to "encourage" business. It became a tradition. But, this year.... no way! In fact, after seven years, I'll be increasing my charge by about ten per cent come September.

When I look cumulatively over the past six years, the busiest to slowest months are Dec., Nov., Oct., Sep., Apr., Mar., Jan., Aug., May, Feb., June and July. This has led me to consider charging a "premium" during those four busy months, definitely not this year but, perhaps in 2001.

Is there a law of economics here? Usually things are expensive when they're scarce. I am thinking the same logic should apply to scarceness as in the availability of slots, as in booking appointments.

Any thoughts?

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, Ontario, Canada