appraisal techniques

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Mon, 22 May 2000 01:21:40 -0500

Charly Tuner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have two tunings for tomorrow (Sat) and the 2nd one will include an
> "appraisal" of a Kawai console. I have not seen it yet, but  being a newbie,
> I would really much appreciate any tips/advice on appraisal dos & don'ts,

If it's not too late to help........here's my basic approach. It's a lot
like appraising real estate.
	Find the going rate of either a comparable piano or the same
brand/approximate year in good condition and deduct for any problems you
find. If your only dollar comparison is a new similar piano, then you
have to figure how long before major work is done vs. the current
condition.
	This is of course for selling the instrument. If you're appraising for
insurance purposes, then it's replacement value. Better to err on the
high side in that case.
										Cheers.....Dan j