drugs and flying (was Elton)

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 21 May 2000 22:28:02 -0500

>     I once did snort some and try to tune my own piano , having been told
how
> much more acutely I would hear things, and how quick my reflexes would be,
> blah, blah blah....  I got a temperament "almost" perfect in 2 1/2
minutes,
> then started tuning a unison, then I found a little unevenness in the
thirds,
> so went back to the temperament.  10 minutes later I had a worse
temperament,

As long as we are into  'true confessions,' The drain made my ears feel
numb, at least from the inside of my throat, so as rarely as I was
"treated", I never had the opportunity or inclination to try to tune
afterwards.

> >I have flown cross
> country and for 3 days after when tuning pianos my ears "felt different".
> Perhaps that flight was extreme in cabin pressure.   However there are so
> many tuners who fly, I am sure to be refuted >>
>
> All of our ears are different, and  mine also feel a little "cloudy" the
day
> after a flight.  Temporarily attenuated high end sensitivity.   I once saw
> well know musician putting nose drops in as he stood in line to board the
> plane. He said it let his whole head/sinus/eustachian tubes react more
easily
> to the changes.  I may try this myself.
>     Anybody else have flight prep ideas?

Yes, my ears felt "cloudy"  after flying,   ,.... what a term.   ; ) .   But
in that state I did make it a point to tune my piano, and I could still hear
OK.  The sensation did not affect my ability to hear beats.   Still I don't
like flying.  I guess because I am a Capricorn,  I need to have all four
feet on the ground, as if it is the highest peak in the world.