Pitch Raise

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 22 May 2000 08:19:18 -0700

Ed,

You could always just choose a page from the memory for a pitch raise.  It
will get you close enough for the first pass.  How do you off-set the pitch?
I want the FAC numbers calculated at pitch not at -91 cents.

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Ed Carwithen
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2000 9:59 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Pitch Raise

It happened again today.  The Piano was a Schiller, circa 1908.  91 cents
flat.  I use a SAT I.  There were some broken strings (which I replaced),
so I talked it over with the owner, and we both agreed that I would tune 30
cents flat.  If the piano felt good, I would come back for a second tune in
a couple of months and bring it up to 440. I almost always tune to 440, no
matter how low it is, as it just sounds better to me, and I feel I owe it
to the customer to get it up to pitch.
  this one, however, had me scared.  So...... I reset the SAT to -30 cents,
then started Raising the pitch.  I usually bring the lower octaves up to
pitch, not above; then about C4 I start using the pitch raise function.
Generally it works like a charm.
  Today when I got to about C6 it felt really tight.  I recalculated, and I
was raising the pitch about one whole step sharp.  I redid the calculations
without the pitch raise function, and finished the piano.  Everything from
C4 to G6 was way sharp.
  It wasn't a major disaster, but it was unsettling.  What am I doing
wrong?????
  The last time I had the problem I tuned the whole piano with the pitch
raise function and everything was so sharp that I ended up having to do a
pitch lower, and I broke several strings.
(I do a lot of pianos that need pitch raises, and almost never break
strings.)

Any Thoughts???

Ed Carwithen