Premium Rates

Elian Degen J. degen@telcel.net.ve
Sun, 21 May 2000 23:51:21 -0400

I have my own, unique special way of charging for work due to the fact that
I work on a very unstable economy with lots of ups and downs, more downs
than ups lately.

I tell my customers which is the full price and break it down as follows

In very busy month I charge full price + a 50% extra if to be done evenings,
Saturdays, Sundays or immediately. I give a 5% discount to all clients that
can wait long enough as to schedule several of them on my daily route. (They
trust my world ) If I manage to schedule two customers in the same area Iīll
call them and give them, let them know the day and give them 5% discount
each if I manage three a day or more in the same area Iīll go up to 10% ( It
helped a lot, many times a customer will try to find me work in the same
building or near by ) In slow times I charge full price, If slow times are
due to total economical slowdown I try to talk the customers into full price
divided into two or three installments.

It worked for me.

Elian Degen
----- Original Message -----
From: Kristinn Leifsson <istuner@islandia.is>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2000 8:06 PM
Subject: Re: Premium Rates

You have to keep the stress on you relatively even.

Thatīs why you deter the googols of people in the fall with higher charges
and encourage them during the slower months with lower charges.

Kristinn

At 15:49 21.5.2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I used to reduce my charge during the slow months of July and August to
"encourage" business. It became a tradition. But, this year.... no way! In
fact, after seven years, I'll be increasing my charge by about ten per cent
come September.

>When I look cumulatively over the past six years, the busiest to slowest
months are Dec., Nov., Oct., Sep., Apr., Mar., Jan., Aug., May, Feb., June
and July. This has led me to consider charging a "premium" during those
four busy months, definitely not this year but, perhaps in 2001.

>Is there a law of economics here? Usually things are expensive when
they're scarce. I am thinking the same logic should apply to scarceness as
in the availability of slots, as in booking appointments.