Hazelton pianos

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Tue, 23 May 2000 08:20:40 EDT

In a message dated 05/22/2000 9:35:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
ANRPiano@AOL.COM writes:

> Tonight I appraised a Hazleton 5' ish grand.  I have not seen many of these
>  creatures, but they all have the same characteristic dead bass.  I could
>  attribute it to dead bass strings but they have both been "rebuilt" in the
>  last 25 years so it doesn't appear to be dead wires, though it could be.
>  hadn't given much thought to all of this until tonight when I was asked to
>  re-rebuild one of these things and to try and straighten out several
> problems.
>
>  Has anyone else dealt with this brand and this problem?  The low tenor has
6

>  sets of wound strings on it.  There is no off set for this portion of the
>  bridge, it just follows along the curve of the rest of the treble bridge.
> My
>  suspicions are we have a scale problem here.  What do you think?
>
>  Andrew Remillard

Andrew, you are probably right about the "scale" problem, but you might do
this to see if there is any potential there.  Take a few bass strings loose
at the hitch pin being carefull of the damper.  Tie a overhand knot in these
string (loosely, about 8 or 10 inches in diameter) with a dowel roll this
knot up towards the agraffe and then back down towards the hitch pin several
times. Untie the knot (elementary, sorry), then hook the wire back up to the
hitch pin putting 11/2 turns in the direction of the windings.  Pull them
back up to pitch and play, see if they liven up, if they do then you can
better judge the potential of the instrument.  Realizing of course new
strings should have even more life in them.
David Koelzer
Associate Member
DFW