Aftertouch Question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 06:20:32 -0400

Thanks for your thoughts Roger. The action frame is soft & hard wood
composite - mostly soft with beech strips where the rail pins go. You may
have a good point that the frame flexes in a different way on the bench than
in the piano and that is changing checking. I fine tune let-off in the
piano.

"> When you say it check's out of the piano, I'm assuming you are using a
> regulation rack, if not, the hammer is travelling higher than the string
line."

Yes, absolutely. That was a critical part of my question. With let-off real
close and drop real small, aftertouch would have to be in the less than
ten-thousandths of an inch range (I'm pretty quick w/ metric conversions -
but I hope you are comfy w/ english units here!) to keep the hammer from
blocking against the string upon completing the keystroke through
aftertouch. Yes? When setting letoff & drop real tight, how do you handle
aftertouch, i.e. how do you make it pleasing to the touch, yet keep the
hammers from blocking against the strings?

Thanks billions for any thoughts

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida