Aftertouch Question

Fri, 26 May 2000 21:50:48 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> OK grand regulation techies, here you go! Two related questions about
> checking and aftertouch.
>

> Question #1: Should ALL hammers ALWAYS go into check, even on a very, very
> LIGHT BLOW?

Yes

> If answer to Question #1 is yes, then Question #2 is: Why do all hammers
> check out of the piano but not when action is in piano (keep in mind, I am
> talking about very soft blows).

Because they are bouncing off the strings instead of droping from their own
weight / or bouncing off an string height jig. If the later is a good solid
one, and you have good checking their and not in the piano, then check your
action centers. They need to be solid, and equally tight on both bushings.
Also check whether or not your hammers are hitting the strings (all of
them) squarely.

Also check to see that you dont have excessive repetition spring strength.
A good test is checking the hammer, and letting the key rise just enough to
let the hammer come free. You shouldnt really feel the spring pulling the
hammer up, at least not very much.

I also like pushing the limits when it comes to letoff, drop, and
checking...exactly because of speed. But you have a few things to keep in
mind. Such regulation most often needs to be maintained more then standard
regulation does, and lettoff too close can raise some voicing problems.
Some techs will even set letoff as a voicing priority, and regulate the
rest of the action around that.

--
Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.