humidity problem - will this fix it?

dale r fox foxpiano@juno.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 19:44:07 -0700

Sorry Clyde,

won't help.  This era Steinway is suffering from terminal verdigris.
New action is the only complete fix.   A little Protek and a hair dryer
with vigorous working of the parts after applying Protek may buy a little
time whilst the consumer saves the sheckles necessary to repair the poor
arthritic thing.

Dale Fox

On Fri, 26 May 2000 21:22:47 -0400 Clyde Hollinger <cedel@supernet.com>
writes:
> Friends,
>
> I need a little advice here.  Today I saw a 1938 small Steinway
> grand
> (sorry, I don't know which model).  The elderly owner said
> sluggishness
> occurs in the top octave when the humidity goes up and diminishes
> when
> the weather is dry.  Indeed, it was sluggish today.  Somehow she
> wrangled me into doing a free evaluation, so I didn't want to pull
> the
> action out to see where the trouble really is.  (Shame on me, I
> know!)
> And can she ever talk! (sigh)
>
> She wanted me to install just a heat rod under the keybed, which I
> refused to do.  I almost have her convinced to go at least with two
> heat
> bars -- one under the keybed and one under the soundboard -- and a
> control unit.
>
> My question is this:  Can I expect a heat bar under the keybed to
> alleviate the tightness from humidity?  Should it go inside the
> action
> cavity?  Or is there no way to know until I know if the sluggishness
> is
> from key bushings or action centers?  And what wattage should I use?
> Or, do you think I should forget about humidity control and just get
> in
> there and fix the problem?
>
> Advice?  I'm listening, watching, whatever.
>
> Regards,
> Clyde

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.