humidity problem - will this fix it?

RptBob1@AOL.COM RptBob1@AOL.COM
Sat, 27 May 2000 08:19:19 EDT

In a message dated 5/26/00 9:37:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cedel@supernet.com writes:

<<
 My question is this:  Can I expect a heat bar under the keybed to
 alleviate the tightness from humidity?  Should it go inside the action
 cavity?  Or is there no way to know until I know if the sluggishness is
 from key bushings or action centers?  And what wattage should I use?
 Or, do you think I should forget about humidity control and just get in
 there and fix the problem >>
 Clyde:

I have noticed the problem on Steinways is much of the time a problem with
action centers getting overrun with vertigris- a green chemical reaction
which attacks these center pins.  The problem is amplified due to high
humidity, I am sure, and is more noticeable in the treble because she
probably doesn't play there as much as the rest of the keyboard.
Use Protek on the center pins and "flex" them individually until you notice
improved movement.  Some Techs feel this is attacking the problem and the
problem will return.  I agree, but find this is a 4-5 year solution.
As far as DC system: if humidity is always a problem, and she seldom uses air
conditioning, I would install just the de-humidifiers but include a
humidistat.  Donot, under any circumstances make this installation without
this control.

Bob Bergantino, RPT
Willoughby Hills, Ohio