Bushing vs. bigger pin?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 27 May 2000 10:38:52 -0500

>What are pros and cons about using a bigger pin vs. a bushing to replace a
>pin thats spinning the lever around.
>Thanks, Jill

I assume you're talking about those bronze sleeve bushings supply houses
sell. Don't bother. Those I've come across installed in pianos seem to
either nearly work, or aren't even close. I once saw in instance where
someone put three of these things in one hole. I can't be sure, but I have
my doubts that it worked three times better than one. For better or worse,
right or wrong, I don't even carry oversized pins for field service. I use
about 80 grit abrasive cloth, and then only in certain situations. If there
are one or two pins that aren't holding, the rest of the pins are
reasonably tight, and a light tap on the loose one won't turn the trick
(sorry), I'll pull the pin, put in a strip of abrasive cloth (grit out),
and put the same pin back in. If the piano is full of barely holding pins,
with a few really loose ones, I'll most likely not waste the time trying to
decide which ones may hold and which may not, and talk to the customer
about either doing a more comprehensive fix, or replacing it.
Ron N