Plastic elbows

Dan & Martha Reed thepianoarts@home.com
Sat, 27 May 2000 22:43:33 -0500

Charly,

    One way to do this job is to remove all of the lifter wires, and keep
them in order. This is important for two reasons...
#1- The lifter wires in some pianos will be bent, so as to clear the back
check. The amount of bending can vairy from section to section.
#2- The 'lost motion' adjustment after instalation, will be minimum if the
wires are replaced back to the keys they came from.
    To help speed things up, use locking pliers to mark the position on the
lifter wire, where the new elbow will spin on to. This will act as a stop
for the new elbow. This is done, of course, before breaking off the old
remaining elbow still attached to the wire. Just clamp onto the wire, butted
up to the end of old elbow, and break away the remaining peanut brittle, and
spin on the new elbow till it stops.
    Another tip... Invest in the tool that adjusts the round wooden nut,
usually found on the other threaded end of the lifter wire at the key end,
if you plan on doing more of these. Some of these nuts can be very tight,
and this tool will speed up the lost motion reg job.
    This piano might have excessive blow and no after touch if it has seen
little service. Remember to set let-off, blow distance, dip if needed, and
then at last, the lost-motion, after installing the new elbows.
   The elbows do indeed snap on. With experience, one can feel the opening
of the elbow when it is sitting 'saddled' on the pin.  Some elbows will have
a little more felt at the opening, and will need more pressure to 'thump'
them on. Keep the elbow square to the pin. If you break the thin wooden
walls holding the pin, your screwed. Bring veneer and super glue to the job,
and forget your next appointment.

Dan Reed
Richardson,Texas