Plastic elbows

Pianogreig@AOL.COM Pianogreig@AOL.COM
Sun, 28 May 2000 16:05:40 EDT

Jim & Rodney

Rodney well described the gummy situation, but I've found that using an old
center pin cutter only gets it's jaws trapped in the mess & while trying to
extract them the thin slot side gets broken. I did try a few times extracting
the pin but during repinning I couldn't get the pin in straight enough &
ended up breaking the same wood.

The gummy bears are usually at the ends & I've never encountered one with the
heat rod so I've thought considering that the extremes get much less use
(especially on a spinet) maybe sitting idle for a long time has something to
do with it?

BTW, I once finally found a way to repair a broken plastic wippen flange (on
a Gulbransen, not worth even this much work) w/o removing the action. After
failed attempts, including CA glue which I should have known would only
crumble everything, I removed the wippen & what was left of the flange,
replaced it with a wooden flange, cutting the bottom off at the middle of the
screw hole, applied Titebond & fit it in over the screw, holding til the glue
set.  This was not fun either.

This was in a church basement; in the choir room is a Mathusek drop action &
in the church a salvaged Schomacker x-player grand with the original goldtone
strings.  They did manage recently to install a magnificent new pipe organ.

Bruce