String splicing

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Sun, 28 May 2000 17:24:25 -0800

Hi Ra Byn,
It is really quite simple to make a piano string knot due to the wires
resistance to pull out of the tie.
It matters knot if you are right or left handed or weather you want to tie a
square, granny or loop knot, the knot will hold just the same.
The best looking is either the square or loop and both have only one side of
the knot that one must watch out for the end of the wire touching another
wire or cutting a finger ,  ouch.
In making the square knot, hold the wire the same for making both loops.
Make sure that the end wire passes on the same side when making the loop.
Turn one loop to the left and the other to the right. Say to yourself righty
then lefty <G>
Loop  the splice first.
Next fold the loop down 90% so that you see the string end then the string.
Slip over the string that is the speaking length.
Loop the speaking length string and fold as above and tighten the loops if
possible.
If you use the 4 finger method for string waste use 3 and install spliced
string.
The loop-noose knot is similar but uses only one loop and a hair pin loop.

To keep the hair pin loop from dragging or pulling on bass string windings
just make a U in the  splice wire and then bend both wires using vice grip..
It helps to have extra wire on the end so that you can make the bend, then
cut off the extra before you put the two wires together to tie the knot.
Puns intended
Joe Goss