Plate Bushings - was Re: Bushing vs. bigger pin?

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 29 May 2000 02:11:47 -0400

I was thinking about this a bit more tonight while doing some tuning.  (One
thing about tunings, at least the normal ones,... you have time to think
about stuff...

It occurred to me that in order for the tuning pin bushing to cause the
pinblock to be pulled away from the flange, it would have to be free to
rotate in such a direction to bring that about.  In effect, the forces
applied by the strings to the tuning pins to the pinblock would need to
effectively pull the flange side of the pinblock down towards the action in
order for there to be any rotation whatsoever.  Obviously, with a pinblock
secured tightly to the plate, this ain't a gonna happen.

So I have to wonder if blaming the tuning pin bushing for tuning stability
problems isn't faulty logic to begin with??

(A picture would be worth a thousand words, but I'm too tired to type that
long!)   :-)

KnowwhatImean??

:-)

Brian Trout