Plate Bushings - was Re: Bushing vs. bigger pin?

Mon, 29 May 2000 09:15:15 +0200

Grin.. and now I know what Newton was replying to... ah... I suppose I
should read through all my mail before replying to any..

Brian.. the idea is simply that the pin itself is pulled, at to some degree
"bent" towards the hitch pin when under stress. If the first thing it comes
into contact with is (pinblock side) is the pinblock itself, then it will
want to "Pull" the pinblock with it towards the hitch pins (and probably
tend to try and tilt the pinblock a bit I would suppose). If it comes in
contact with a bushing first then it pulls on this point, which is
essentially the plate it self seen from the pins point of view.. that means
the bottom portion of the pin will want to push the pinblock back away from
the plate flange (and I suppose tilt a bit in the oposite direction).

Fine enough.. I am not really sure how important this all is.. grin.. but
the fellows I know over here that advocate pin bushings do so only because
they then dont have to fit the pinblock to the plate flange as exactly as
otherwise... so they say anyways. As for the other arguments for and
against the use of bushings.. they have "balderdash" to say.

--
Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.