String splicing

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 29 May 2000 07:09:03 -0400

Friends,

This talk of string knots reminds me of my taking the RPT technical test in
1996.  I made the knot where the one string end is a mirror image of the
other, but somehow I made both ends exactly the same.  As you may know,
time is limited in this section of the test, and I didn't have time to do
the knot over, so I pulled it to pitch and hoped for the best.

The examiners said they had never seen such a strange-looking knot and were
sure it wouldn't hold.  They put more and more tension on the string until
finally it tore somewhere else, so they had to give me credit.  I took both
the tuning and technical tests for the first time at Dearborn, and left the
convention as an RPT.

Clyde