Tight pinblocks

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 29 May 2000 23:17:01 -0400

At what point would you consider a tight pinblock too tight to be able to
give a reasonable tuning?

I tried to tune a piano today that had been built with what I believe is an
excessively tight pinblock.  I actually did get out the torque wrench.  I
can only read it up to about 250 inch pounds of torque, and probably 2 - 3
dozen of the tuning pins were way in excess of that.  Judging from the feel
of the pins, I would guestimate in excess of 300 inch pounds for the worst.

Am I being a jerk to say that this brand new, well recognized, name brand
piano is defective?  Would I be wrong in recommending that the manufacturer
be asked to repair this defect?

I am totally amazed that I didn't break off any tuning pins trying to tune
this beast.

So, I'm asking, how much is too much?  Where should we draw the line?  (If I
had built a pinblock that tuned like that, someone would have my head on a
platter.)

Anyone care to name the highest acceptable torque?

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net