Plate Bushings - was Re: Bushing vs. bigger pin?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 30 May 2000 17:03:17 EDT

In a message dated 5/30/2000 4:34:20 PM, Richard wrote:

<<<<"kindly, point out a "myth" in my response?">>>> Jim B.

Richard since you didn't point out a "myth" in my response I will assume that
I took false umbrage at your original post. In any event I never said
anything about pinblock movement "crushing" bushings, or trying to turn
sumersaults...what I said was:

"in the event that a pinblock would move enough to crush all the bushings to
the point of affecting the block movement there are much more severe problems
with that block than any amount of bushings could even begin to address".

To address the Mythical Bushing Crushing problem though...... The evidence is
that the bushings indeed do get "crushed" as evidenced by the elongated holes
and skinny walls on the string side of the bushing when the old tuning pins
are removed. I have never seen block movement that would account for this
"crushing". So something causes it....... be it pins bending , techs bending
pins, string tension pulling the pin over, flagpoling during tuning, being
distorted during drilling/pinning, or
perhaps the pinblock playing hop scotch under the plate :-)

Since you did not address any "myths" of mine I will award y'all a second
"myth"...this leaves you with one more. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)